Tuesday, June 14, 2016

About that reading slump...

30264
I'm trying to get out of this terrible reading slump. I'm blaming college for this. No time and mandatory reading slowed me down so much that I stopped reading after a while.

I just started rereading DeadWitch Walking by Kim Harrison. I've read this book (and I think two more in this series) when I was 14 years old and I forgot about most of the storyline. It's fun to reread books that I loved when I was 14 years old, because back then I was also a very big reader, I literally dug my way through the library around that age. 

I've always been a reader, even when I was very young and my mother had to read to me. But my reading comes in phases I feel. When I was 13-15 years old I used to read almost as much as I do now. I read Dutch books back then because I used to hate English at school and I struggled quiet a lot with it (and now I study to become an English teacher, how things have changed), it was only when I was 14 years old that I started to love English because of an awesome teacher I had (that was in the third year I had English in school). 

It still took me a while to get better and The main thing that helped me was watching TV shows and choosing to leave out the subtitles. When I was at the age of 16 it finally became fun to read in English, my English was getting better and reading a book wasn't a chore anymore. From that point on I gradually started reading more English books (mind that between the age of 15 and 17/18 I wasn't as big of a reader anymore and only got to about 5 books a year) and Dutch books disappeared, besides the ones I had to read for my Dutch classes of course. 

Last summer, at the age of 17 (almost 18) I started picking up more books again when I was home alone for 2 weeks when my parents and little sister were on a holiday. That's the point where I started reading way more again and I rediscovered the love I had for books back when I was in my early teen years. In 2015 I ended up reading 35 books, which is a lot considering I only started reading as much in July.

Now going back to the reading slump I’m in at the moment. I realized that rereading books that I enjoyed when I was younger really helps me get back into reading. Every time a semester got a little busy this past school year I fell into a reading slump. Once I get more time it’s rather hard for me to get myself back into reading. When I started rereading the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead back in September I could really feel how I found an old love for that series again. I read that series around the same time I read the Hollows series by Kim Harrison for the first time.

So maybe next time I find it hard to get out of a reading slump I guess I’ll pick up another favorite from back then: the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong.

Another thing that helped me before is reading a new book from a series you really love (or an author you always enjoy). For me it often helps when a favorite author (to me that’s Rachel Morgan most of the time) comes out with a new book, especially when it’s a continuation to a series you love to death *cough* Creepy Hollow *cough*.

Happy reading, a lovely summer and much love,

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment