Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan - Firelight #1


Title: Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Pages: 320

Sophie Jordan has surprised me. I got into this book without knowing anything about it. I never read a fantasy book about dragons before so I didn't know what I had to expect. I took it with me from the library, hence the Dutch translation cover, and I initially thought I wouldn't like it. I didn't know the author, but being a book lover I took it home. I've got nothing to lose with a library book right? I took the whole series with me, in case I'd like it and want to binge read this trilogy.
That's probably what happened, because I can't wait to start the second book, Vanish. 

This book is about a girl, with a dragon inside of her, a draki. She lives with her twin sister and her mother in her colony. She's not entirely save though, there's hunters out there, hunting draki's, her.

She, her sister, who has never manifested, and her mother run away, away from the colony that wants to possess Jacinda, because she's special, the first fire-draki in her colony since centuries ago. They want to keep her, even it that means keeping her there against her will.

Her draki has to die, that's the choice of her mom, who's draki is already dead, not hers. Living with two normal humans, without draki is hard. She can't just let her draki die and it becomes even more difficult to hide when she meets Will, she knows him, he's dangerous, his family her enemies. So the hunter falls in love with his prey.

I absolutely love this book and it has definitely changed my opinion about dragon related fantasy books. I won't hesitate to read more books like this in the future and I think this is a seriously under-hyped book.
I'm in love with the characters, the forbidden love and the writing style of Sophie Jordan.

Here's the English/American cover:


Much love,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment